Thursday, June 14, 2012

Unit 1


In this unit, we reviewed a lot about scientific notation, sizes, and units of measurements. Learning about all the different units of size, I finally connected prefixes such as "giga", "mega", or "kilo" to memory - a concept we constantly refer to. When talking about our iPhones, memory sticks, or file sizes we often throw around phrases such as "my iPhone is only 8gigs" or "this stick is 2gigs, will my pictures fit?", etc. I was using phrases and terms such as these even though I didn’t really know what it meant. This unit helped me to connect the two concepts that when we say "gig" we mean 109 bytes of memory. I thought this was really interesting because we think that 8 gigs is not that much memory, as many people need the 16 gig iPhone to store all of their music, photos, texts, apps, etc. but it actually is 8,000,000,000 bytes of memory. Through this unit, I was able to put these terms into perspective to see how big a gigabyte (10,000,000,000 bytes) or a megabyte (10,000,000 bytes) really is.



2 comments:

  1. Wow that's so cool how you connected memory to the terms we used! You right how we always say phrases like that but we don't really think about how much memory we're talking about. 18 Gigs is a lot of bytes and I never really thought about it until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i always complain how my 8 gig iPhone is not even close to enough memory but i never realized how much memory we actually use!

    ReplyDelete